New rules placed for football games

Joelle Dlugozima, Staff Writer

For Milton students, seeing intoxicated individuals at football games isn’t unusual. However, Brian Jones, Milton’s principal, wants to put an end to that. After unknowingly taking a sip of alcohol at a recent game, Jones decided precautions were needed to protect the safety of the students.

The new rules were set in place for Milton’s Home games. The new rules state Milton students are not allowed to bring large bags or backpacks and students would be checked by policemen when going through the gate. The administrative staff is also patrolling the stadium in search for any rule-breakers.

There are some exceptions to the rules. Clear bags and small bags meant to hold certain items, such as diaper bags and camera bags, are permitted inside the stadium.

“We’re not doing this to get anyone in trouble,” Jones explained, “We just want to limit the possibility of these situations.” He reports no complaints were heard from parents but he couldn’t say the same for students.

“For me, I think it’s a good idea having stricter rules. Games become much safer,” Madame Moorman, a teacher at Milton and a mother of Milton students.

Many students felt it ruined the mood of the game. “Football games are a place where students can go wild and support their team. When rules are set in place, students almost feel pressured and may not enjoy the experience as much as they did before,” a frequent spectator said.

However, Jones is not sure if the new policies are permanent. “The crowd and overall atmosphere of the homecoming game was much better than previous games, but we might revisit the rules if we keep them for future games.” He believes rules will be added or removed to suit needs for coming games.

“Some students are uneasy when going to games and it’s unacceptable,” Jones concludes. “If there’s anything we as staff can do for our students, then consider it done.”