Meet Milton’s drum majors

Foster Steinbeck, Editor-in-Chief

This season, senior drum majors Grace Bartenfeld, Jackson Jacobs, Hannah Kepner, and junior Izzy Brown lead Milton’s marching band. The drum majors are distinguished by their black uniforms which contrast with the band’s white uniforms. Acting as human metronomes, the drum majors anchor the performances and keep everyone aligned. They also function as student leaders, lead warm-up drills, and serve as a liaison for Christopher Shumick, the Director of Bands.

For all their competitions and games this season, the marching band performs their brand new show The Tipping Point, based on the book by Malcolm Gladwell. The show’s theme is about “how an idea starts to spread, how it can start as something small and can spread like wildfire” says Gregory Hicks, a trombone section leader. The band practices their show on Monday (4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.), Tuesday (6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.), and Thursday (4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.). They have a day of rest on Wednesday. Fridays and Saturdays are reserved for games and competitions.

This year, in the face of fierce competition from all over the southeast, Milton won a finalist spot in the Bands of America competition, a prestigious event hosted in Powder Springs, GA on Sept. 16. “Bands of America drew the best marching bands in the southeast to come together and compete.” says trombone section leader, Jackson Wysocki. On Oct. 21, Milton won again at a metro-area competition hosted at St. Pius High School, taking 1st place in every available category.

The marching band’s final competition of this season will be at South Forsyth this Saturday on October 28 where they expect to sweep away the competitors.