Pictured: Wendell Greene Jr. (1), Jabari Smith (10) (NCAA)
Pictured: Wendell Greene Jr. (1), Jabari Smith (10)

NCAA

Auburn Basketball: The Biggest Cat in the Jungle

February 22, 2022

For the first time in school history, Auburn was named the No.1 seed on January 24, 2022. The Tigers had never been ranked No.1. Bruce Pearl has rebuilt Auburn Basketball. Over Pearl’s eight seasons, he has taken the team to their first ever Final Four appearance and now their first No. 1 ranking in the AP Poll. Pearl is now destined to stay coaching at the loveliest village on the plains. Pearl is the Auburn Head Coach “for life”. 

“My intent when I came to Auburn was to have enough success for this to be my last coaching job,” Pearl said in a statement. “Auburn will be our family’s forever home. I am humbled and blessed to be your head coach for a very long time”. Auburn fans couldn’t be happier. 

The Auburn Basketball Team consists of several talented players who have great chemistry with each other making the games even more exciting to watch. Auburn is a young, talented team. The players are hardworking, Coach Pearl is passionate about coaching, and the fanbase loves Auburn. The future is looking bright for this Auburn basketball team. 

Key Players Stats for 2021-22 season

Jabari Smith (F)- PTS: 15.5 / REB: 6.8 / AST: 1.7 / FG%: 43.3

Walker Kessler (F/C)- PTS: 11.6 / REB: 8.4 / AST: 0.8 / FG%: 62.8

Allen Flanigan (G)- PTS: 7.0 / REB: 3.6 / AST: 1.7 / FG%: 41.7

Wendall Green Jr. (G)- PTS: 13.2 / REB: 3.9 / AST: 4.8 / FG%: 38.6 

Auburn University is the place to be. 

I had the privilege of interviewing some very happy Auburn fans. I asked the following questions: What makes Auburn Basketball so special? Who are your favorite players and why? What are your thoughts on Bruce Pearl? 

Clay Keene, Sophomore at Auburn University answers, “Auburn Basketball is special because the program represents the best of Auburn: those who live in Auburn and those who attend Auburn University. Auburn has faced adversity and we have overcome the most difficult challenges that have been thrown our way. My favorite player is Walker Kessler because he can do almost anything on the court and off the court. He is the definition of an Auburn Man. Bruce Pearl is essentially the embodiment of Auburn University. He is tough, hardworking, charismatic, and kind”. 

Harrison Kamradt, Sophomore at Auburn University answers, “Auburn Basketball is special because we are a younger team and we have chemistry…that’s something you don’t see in younger guys. Walker Kessler is my favorite player because he bodies anyone that comes in the paint and he does not let any obstacle get in his way. Bruce Pearl is a great coach and leader who motivates his players to do better”.

Camden Wenzel, Sophomore at Auburn University answers, “Auburn is special because of the high skill level we have to offer. We are fun to watch. Walker Kessler is my favorite player because he is a beast in the paint and he is a good person. Bruce Pearl is a great coach and he is very energetic. Pearl gets the job done”. 

Jack Ritter, Sophomore at Auburn University answers, “Auburn basketball is special because the student section and the atmosphere at the games are crazy. K.D Johnson is my favorite player because he plays like a psychopath and he is really good. Bruce Pearl is an amazing coach because he pushes people to be better everyday”. 

Maguire Brown, Sophomore at Auburn University answers, “Auburn Basketball is special because the team has great chemistry and the atmosphere is one of a kind. Jabari Smith is my favorite player because he is fun to watch. He also is a great person, on and off the court. Bruce Pearl is an epic coach and it is fun to watch him burst a blood vessel while he coaches the team”. 

Josh Elliot, Senior at Auburn University answers, “Auburn Basketball is special because of the Jungle. Zep Jasper is my favorite player because he has been with the program since the beginning. Bruce Pearl is a great coach and that is exactly what Auburn needs”. 

The fans of Auburn Basketball are excited for what the future holds for their team. They want to see the players succeed on and off the court, they want to keep on winning, and they for sure want to keep on making countless memories in the Auburn Arena. 

The fans want to keep that special feeling of beating Kentucky to make their way to being ranked No. 1. 

The future of Auburn Basketball looks promising. 

Latest Update 

Auburn falls to the No.3 seed after losing to Flordia.