The “A” Team

November 15, 2021

“Smith. The 0-2. Left side. Swanson. To first. The Braves…the World Champions (cheering)”. 

The Braves were sitting below .500 at the beginning of August, no way anyone thought they were going to the World Series, let alone make it to October. The Atlanta Braves won the World Series, shutting out the Houston Astros 7-0 in Game Six. Atlanta won the series, 4-2. After 26 years, the Braves take home their 4th World Series title. Atlanta fans crowd the streets of their city and celebrate this long overdue victory. 

How did the Braves earn the righteous title of “World Series Champions”?

The Braves, winning only 88 games out of 162 games during the regular season, dealt with many ups and downs. One of the major downs being marked by injuries. 

The Atlanta Braves lost their best player, Ronald Acuna Jr. to an injury. Acuna tore his ACL in a game against the Miami Marlins. He chased after a ball that Jazz Chisholm hit to the outfield; Acuna landed awkwardly on his right leg. Acuna missed the remainder of the season.

Mike Soroka, a starting pitcher for the Braves, re-tore his right achilles. The Braves lost one of their best pitchers at the beginning of the regular season. 

Marcell Ozuna, the Braves left fielder, fractured two fingers on his left hand while running bases. He was going to be out for an indefinite period, but was never able to return due to personal issues.  

The probability of the Braves winning their division was fading.

The Braves were in 3rd place in the National League East, the thought of competing in the World Series never came into the picture. Until, General Manager Alex Anthopoulus made a few excellent moves before the trade deadline. The Braves landed 3 big players: Eddie Rosario, Adam Duvall, and Jorge Soler -each having a huge impact on the team. 

Soler, being one to show out at the World Series, was named Most Valuable Player (M.V.P) of the World Series. Soler had three home runs, four runs scored, and six RBI’s. 

Rosario was named M.V.P of the National League Championship, as well. 

Soler and Rosario each brought talent to the team. 

Soler, Rosario, and Duvall meshed with the team easily and looked like they had been a part of the Braves organization since the first game of the regular season. Anthopoulus picked three extraordinary athletes. 

The Braves keep improving game after game. Soon enough, the Braves earned themselves a spot in the National League Championship. The Braves defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers in six games. 

The Braves can be considered a well-oiled machine as the players play well together and the coaches coach well together. Something clicked for this team, they started making big plays and pulling off big wins. 

The Braves have become an exciting team to watch again. 

What does the future hold for the Braves? 

Will Acuna’s return result in the loss of Rosaria, Soler, and Duvall? Or will the new Designated Hitter rule allow them to stay? 

What will the Braves offense look like in the 2022 season? Powerhouse in the MLB? 

Freddie Freeman is now a free agent. Freeman is the face of the Braves franchise; he is loved by all Atlanta fans. Will the Braves give him a new contract? Dansby Swanson, the Braves shortstop, believes that the franchise should “re-sign Freddie”. 

For now, Atlanta will continue to celebrate this sweet victory. The Braves have a lot to consider before spring training starts up in late February.