Pictured: Devin Farrell (1), Jack Nickel (86), Mo Clipper (56) (Josh Major)
Pictured: Devin Farrell (1), Jack Nickel (86), Mo Clipper (56)

Josh Major

Milton vs Roswell: A Rivalry Game for the Centuries

October 22, 2021

Woodstock, GA- Two weeks ago the Milton Eagles completely dismantled the hometown Etowah Eagles on their turf, winning 54-14. For three games in a row, the offense has been red-hot scoring 40+ in those three games. With another Milton win, the Eagles still stand at the top of region rankings with Roswell.

This week Milton will play in the biggest game of the year thus far versus a deeply despised opponent: the Roswell Hornets. The Milton Roswell rivalry is one of the oldest rivalries in the state, spanning 71 years. Roswell leads the all-time series 37-28. However, Milton has won the last two games. With the two schools being only 3 miles apart this game is personal for many of the players and fans. Bragging rights, playoff implications and a region championship is all on the line in this highly anticipated contest taking place at Ray Manus Stadium.

Roswell Impact Players

QB Robbie Roper (Sr.)- 85 completions, 1619 passing yards, 23 touchdowns, 138 QBR, 31 carries, 225 passing yards

WR Shaun Spence (Sr.)- 26 catches, 457 yards, 3 touchdowns

ATH Ethan Nation (Jr.)- 27 catches, 400 yards, 5 touchdowns, 21 tackles, 1 interception

The Roswell Hornets are in the second year of the Chris Prewett era. Prewett, a former defensive coordinator for Roswell under Matt Kemper, has got the Hornets rolling this season entering this game with a 6-1 record. Roswell has recorded big wins against the likes of South Forsyth, Centennial, North Paulding, Campbell, Etowah, and Cherokee. Roswell’s only loss comes against the Walton Raiders. The Hornets are coming off a bye with their previous game being a win against Cherokee.

Starting at Quarterback is Senior Robbie Roper. At one point in the season, Roper was the leading passer in all of 7A, however, an injury quickly stripped that title away. Nevertheless, Roper is still a great passer passing for 136 yards and one touchdown on seven attempts against Cherokee.

Midway through the Cherokee game Roswell’s top rusher Ryan Hill Jr. went down with an injury so enter Sophomore Nykahi Davenport. In his first varsity start, Davenport would have a breakout game rushing for 181 yards and two touchdowns on 28 carries.

Roswell’s leading receiver two weeks ago was Junior Ethan Nation. Nation had three catches for 25 yards. Senior Shaun Spence had one reception for 40 yards. Sophomore Dylan Williams had a 48 yards touchdown reception.

Roswell’s big name on defense is four-star cornerback Ethan Nation. Nation is an all-around athlete starting on both offense and defense. Against Cherokee Nation recorded five tackles. Senior linebacker Riley Slaughter had 11 tackles, four tackles for loss, three sacks, and two forced fumbles. Senior linebacker Case Barrett made 10 tackles.

Milton Impact Players

QB Devin Farrell (Sr.)- 86 completions, 1186 passing yards, 20 touchdowns, 131.9, 54 carries, 347 yards

RB Jordan McDonald (Sr.)- 73 carries, 524 yards, 7 touchdowns, 7.2 yards per carry

DL AJ Crawford (Sr.)- 44 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, 5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery

On offense, Milton has hit their stride in region games with another 50+ point showing coming against Etowah. This week the Eagles will be tested with a stronger Roswell defense coming in. When the quarterback is on, running backs are on, receivers are on, and especially when the offensive line is on there is not much that can stop this Eagles offense.

Devin Farrell will get the usual start this week. Against Etowah Farrell racked up 257 yards and four passing touchdowns all on 17 completions. Farrell rushed for 55 yards and one touchdown on four attempts. Farrell’s play will be a huge and important factor in determining the outcome of this game.

With the absence of Jordan McDonald, Junior Scott Moskowitz played a huge role in filling in for him. Moskowitz carried the ball 12 times for 136 yards and scored once. Freshman Luke Nickel had three carries for 11 yards.

Milton’s leading receiver last week was Sophomore Debron Gatling. Gatling had three receptions for 96 yards and one touchdown. Junior Wyatt Nave had three receptions for 74 yards and one touchdown. Senior Brooks Bortle had two receptions for 48 yards and one touchdown. Senior Jack Nickel caught four passes for 44 yards and one touchdown. Senior Adam Freas had five receptions for 47 yards. Senior Elliot Meyer had one touchdown catch for four yards.

Of course, much of the offense’s successes could not be achieved without Milton’s monstrous offense line. Seniors Mo Clipper Jr, Ben Hartman, Trey Harding, Kayden Richardson, Brandon Best and Tyhler Williams all opened big holes and grinded the Etowah defense away to put Milton on top.

Not only was the offense on versus Etowah but Milton’s defense was firing on all cylinders as well. The Eagles only let up 149 total yards and 14 points which is just the performance this squad needed. Milton will have a huge test ahead of them against a strong Roswell offense this week.

Leading Milton in total defense two weeks ago was Senior Linebacker, Owen Pauley. Pauley finished with four tackles and one interception. Senior Linebacker Zyere Hornton recorded four tackles. Junior linebacker Caleb Moran had three tackles and one tackle for loss. Junior linebacker made four tackles. Junior defensive end LT Overton made three tackles. Senior defensive end AJ Crawford finished with three tackles and one tackle for loss. Senior cornerback Cam Canion made two tackles and one interception. Junior safety Bryce Thornton had three tackles. Sophomore cornerback Faisal Sokoya recorded two tackles.

Keys to Victory: Roswell

Roswell has quite the task ahead of them. The Hornets will be facing their best competition this week. With a double-digit loss to Walton, Roswell has yet to prove themselves against good and well-coached teams. For Roswell to come out on top, Roper will need to make elite throws and expose Milton’s secondary. The offensive line needs to have a great game to open up holes for the young Davenport. Defensively Roswell needs to shut down the run and force Milton to beat them throwing the ball.

Keys to Victory: Milton

Like Roswell’s game plan, Milton’s is much of the same. However, Milton will need to get pressure and sack Roper and eliminate him from making big plays. On offense, Milton will need to pound and grind Roswell down, then open up the offense once Roswell is tired and down.

Score Prediction:

Milton/34

Roswell/24

Offensive Player of the Game- Devin Farrell

Defensive Player of the Game- LT Overton