Milton vs. Etowah: The Eagle Bowl

Josh Major

Pictured from left to right: Cam Canion, Bryce Thornton, Mason Bicknell, Zyere Horton

Jackson Thacker, Sports Writer

Recap

On an unusually cold Mid-October night, Milton made the short trip to Alpharetta and then went on to beat the Raiders 35-20. Milton goes onto an impressive 4-1 (1-0 in the region) record, and Alpharetta drops to 2-3 (0-1 in the region). Alpharetta will look for redemption this week against Woodstock. This week, Milton will host a winless Etowah Eagles team with a familiar face at head coach. Last week, Etowah lost a close game against Roswell by a score of 21-14. This matchup will be the first since 2017. Etowah currently leads the series 5-3.

Scouting Report: Etowah  

As I said before, Etowah has a familiar face at head coach, and that familiar face is Matt Kemper. Kemper was the old coach at Roswell, who had a brief three-season stint before he resigned. Kemper’s career record against Milton is 1-2. Etowah looks to knock off Milton and get their first win on Friday night.

Offensively, Etowah is led by sophomore quarterback Will Curcio. Curcio throws a nice ball but really is not that mobile. He tends to stay in the pocket and wait for his receivers to get open.

Etowah’s most talented player is junior running back Remington Adams. Adams possesses quite the speed with his 4.5 seconds 40 time. Adams is a small back, but he uses his speed to his advantage.

Senior Brock Rechsteiner is the Eagles leading receiver. Rechsteiner has a great set of hands that can catch almost any ball thrown his way; he also beats defenders with his route running abilities that get him open. Senior Blake Bohannon plays the role of WR2. Bohannon does his damage in the slot position, which means he specializes in short quick routes.

Etowah’s defense is letting up 26 points per game, which could prove to be damaging for Etowah’s chances of winning.

Etowah’s defense is headed by senior linebacker Austin Skinner. Skinner is great at powering through the offensive line and causing havoc in the backfield. Lane Cantrell is another playmaking Linebacker that never gives up on plays.

Scouting Report: Milton

Last week, we saw Milton’s offense really explode, scoring 35 points which is their most points scored since the Hapeville Charter Game. We even saw defensive end Lebbeus Overton get in the scoring action with a 46-yard pass from quarterback Devin Farrell. There was much talk about how Alpharetta would finally take down Milton this game. Coach Adam Clack responded with “Winners expect to win, and winners prove their worth on the field.” As for the Raiders, better luck next year 😉.

Milton will look to continue their offensive success against a vulnerable Etowah defense. Milton has averaged 26 points per game this season. With multiple playmakers on the offense, Milton should roll past Etowah this game.

Milton is led by none other than junior quarterback Devin Farrell. Farrell has had a great junior campaign, starting in every game this year. In last week’s contest, Farrell completed six passes for 133 yards and a passing touchdown. Farrell also rushed for 119 yards averaging around ten yards per carry and with a rushing touchdown and finishing with a QBR Rating of 137.5.

Jordan McDonald made a surprise start against the Raiders after his brief hiatus. In his return party, McDonald rushed for 110 yards on 22 carries and a whopping three touchdowns.

Last week, Milton’s leading receiver was not actually a receiver; it was sophomore defensive end Lebbeus Overton who caught a 42 yard strike for a touchdown. Matt Evert had a solo reception for ten yards. Jack Nickel had one reception for a long 49 yards that set up Milton for a touchdown.

Last week, Milton’s defense put up another second half shoutout after a rocky start in the first half. That makes it two years since Alpharetta has been able to put up a point against Milton in the second half.

Overton recorded four tackles and two tackles for losses. Seniors Zack Tumminia, Connor Gay and Dane Edwards combined for 12 total tackles.

Junior linebackers AJ Crawford, Dylan Miller and Owen Pauley all combined for 20 tackles and one tackle for loss.

Last week, sophomore Bryce Thornton had two interceptions setting a career-high for interceptions in a game. Juniors Zyere Horton, Cam Canion and senior Garrett Smalley all combined for six tackles.

Keys for Victory: Etowah

If Etowah wants to win this game, they will have to do everything right. Etowah will have to get Adams red hot early in the game. Curcio will need to get settled in quickly and control his offense in a neat manner. Etowah also needs to control the clock and keep Milton’s offense off the field. Etowah’s defense needs to shut down Farrell and McDonald; by doing that, they create momentum for their offense. Etowah also needs some sort of non-offensive touchdown either coming on the defense or special teams.

Keys for Victory: Milton

If Milton wants to win this game, the offense and defense need to come out and shut out Etowah in all assets of the game. Both McDonald and Farrell need to start out strong to get the momentum rolling for Milton and keep it going. This defense has the potential to put on a show this week against Etowah. If Milton can shake up Curcio and stop Adams, this game can wrap up quite quickly.

Preview

After a great second-half performance and a quality work week, Milton comes out hot and scores some early touchdowns. The defense does their part in stopping Curcio and the company, taking Etowah out of this game offensively. Milton takes a lead going into the half. Milton comes out of the half and plays the same brand of hard football they have been playing all year long and controls the clock and puts this one away no questions asked, Milton goes onto 2-0 in the region and sends Etowah back home with a bitter loss.

Score Prediction

Milton/38

Etowah/7

Offensive Player of the Game: Devin Farrell

Defensive Player of the Game: Bryce Thornton