Milton vs. Hapeville Charter Game Preview

Josh Major

Pictures: Zyere Horton

Jackson Thacker, Sports Writer

Wrap-up from last week

Last week Milton beat John’s Creek 29-0. Both teams had some trouble scoring points, however Milton was the team to make the halftime adjustments and go on to score 29 unanswered points to win their third consecutive Freedom Bowl. Milton’s coach, Adam Clack, said to the team at halftime “to breathe, have fun and fly around to the ball” he felt that the team “looked tight” and “seemed like our players were not having fun”, fortunately the team came out hot and scored right off the bat and continued that success until the clock ran out at the end of the game. Milton looks to carry that momentum into a non-region game against the Hornets of Hapeville Charter.

Scouting Report on Hapeville Charter

Hapeville Charter will have to take a long bus ride up to Milton for the second week in a row (Hapeville Charter came up to play North Forsyth in the Freedom Bowl last week). In a hard fought battle, Hapeville Charter fell to North Forsyth thanks to a fourth quarter push by the Raiders to score two touchdowns ending the game by a score of 28-14. Hapeville Charter will start their veteran quaterback Eric Brown (Senior) along with Senior running back Antavious Bradley. Hapeville Charter offensively brings a spread balanced attack, utilizing the running backs on early downs and short gains, and then opening up the air attack on late downs and large gains. The Hornet offense is quite similar to the Milton offense in the way they attack the defense. The main attraction around the Hornet program is Outside Linebacker Zavier Carter (Senior) who is a four star recruit committed to LSU and has received many other prestigious division one offers (per 247 Sports). Carter will look to bring the blitz against the Eagles.

Scouting Report on Milton

It was a tale of two halves last week for Milton, in the first half Milton was denied points but in the second half Milton scored 29 unanswered points to secure a victory against Johns Creek. Offensively Milton is led by Junior QB Devin Farrell, who this year is sporting the #1 look just like NFL quarterback Cam Newton. Farrell and Newton have a similar play style which includes a strong arm and the ability to make a play running with the ball. Last week Farrell passed for 215 yards along with two touchdowns and nineteen rushing yards. In addition to Farrell, Junior Jordan McDonald will make his second career start at running back. McDonald had nineteen carries with 152 yards and highlighted by a fifty three yard touchdown run. Junior Adam Freas leads the receiving game with five receptions for eighty seven yards and a rushing touchdown. Freshman Debron Gatling caught his first high school touchdown last week along with two more receptions and thirty six yards. Junior tight end Jack Nickel had two receptions for thirty six yards and had some key blocks in opening holes for the offense. Milton looks to continue to use the same game plan and schemes they used last week to slash through the Gladiator defense. Defensively Milton looked impressive by not allowing a single point last week. Milton’s defense is led by the #1 recruit in the sophomore class, Lebbeus (L.T) Overton (per 247 sports). The young defensive end had five tackles with three of them being tackles for a loss. Junior Owen Pauley was at presence at linebacker with six total tackles and an interception. Junior Zyere Horton led the Eagles with two interceptions and two tackles. Senior Brandon Doyle ran through the Johns Creek line making four tackles and a forced fumble.

Game Predictions

Milton will look to come out fast to take Hapeville Charter out of the game as quick as possible. It would not be a surprise if we saw some trick plays or a 2-point conversion early in the game. The Eagles offense should not have any problems scoring against a second-rate defense. Expect that Milton’s defense takes over the game much like last week.

Score: 31-7/Milton

Offensive Player of the Game: Jordan McDonald

Defensive Player of the Game: Lebbeus (L.T) Overton