COVID-19 and Its impact in High School Sports

Jackson Thacker, Sports Writer

It is no secret that the Coronavirus has had a monumental impact on high school sports to say the least. The virus cancelled every single spring sport including baseball, boys and girls lacrosse, and boys and girls soccer. However not many people thought it would still interfere with fall sports. Currently football, softball, cross-country, and many other sports are seeing their seasons being delayed. In spite of this we are seeing approval from the GHSA on starting back what we have all been missing. So what are the delays and start up dates for fall sports?

Softball

Softball faced relatively light precautions in response to the Coronavirus. The GHSA said “the earliest date for practice to begin will be the first of August” they also said “Games can be played starting on the sixth of August. Many softball players were ecstatic at the news they received regarding the start dates. However, Milton and many other Fulton county schools will only be playing region games instead of the standard non region games. As a reminder the state softball tournament begins on October 19 and concludes on October 31.

Cross Country

Like Softball, Cross Country saw few precautions from the GHSA. Official practice started on August 1st and we saw the first meets start on August 10th. Milton has already competed in the Wildcat Opener in Winder and will compete in the famed Milton Invitational on Saturday. Milton also looks to compete in 5 more meets. As a reminder the state finals are on November 6th in Carrolton. The first Milton time trial was August 15th and the second time trial meet was August 22nd, both of which were hosted at the Milton course.  On September 19th Milton traveled to Apalachee HS in Winder, GA to run the Apple Hawkins Invite against 18 teams in their first big meet of the season! Milton will race again on September 26th at the Fulton County Championships hosted by North Springs HS.

Volleyball

Volleyball also saw little safeguards from the GHSA. Volleyball was allowed to start official practice on August 1st and could begin games on August 10th. Through a tough performance, Milton fell short to Riverwood on September 10th. Milton will go onto play thirteen more games against both region and non-region competition. Milton will make a push at the state tournament on October 20th and ending with the championships on November 7th.

Football

Football by far saw the most restrictions from the GHSA. Even though football is considered a fall sport, the football season really starts in the spring. Milton was denied spring practice and a spring game. In addition to the cancellation of the spring season, the state of Georgia did not allow schools to go out of state to play games. Milton originally had planned to take a trip up north to Maryland to play St. Francis Academy and Milton had scheduled another out of state team in the Freedom Bowl. However, Milton will play John’s Creek in the Freedom Bowl on September 17. Many schools have had trouble in finding other schools to play. A few weeks ago a North Fulton school was scheduled to play their first official game only to find out the night before one of their players tested positive for COVID-19, cancelling there game. Games were allowed to be played on September 4th and as of now the GHSA has not seen any positive cases directly coming from football games.

Conclusion

Many athletes were happy to be able to compete and have fun with their teams after a long and dreaded quarantine. “This is what our student athletes need, they have been couped up and not being able to get out and have fun has really taken its toll on our kids” says Glenn White who is the President of the GHSA. It is exciting to see sports come back and all of the athletic buzz around Milton’s campus. We wish all of the athletes play their best and most importantly stay safe.