Milton High School; a timeline of the 2019-20 school year

May 19, 2020

The 2019-20 school year for Milton High School was definitely not a normal one; we weren’t even able to make it a full year. However, Milton and its students were still able to change our school, improve our community, and create new memories. As a newspaper, we felt it was important to produce a year in review, so we don’t forget our incredible accomplishments and experiences that made this year memorable. 

•  Aug. 24, 2019 – Hurricane Dorian strikes news headlines when meteorologists see the category 5 Atlantic hurricane take form. Dorian causes 84 fatalities and an overall total of $4.68 billion USD in damage.

• Aug. 25, 2019 – Milton’s staff finalizes consequences in regard to the number of times students are late to class. The consequences range from a student/parent conference to disciplinary action decided by the Assistant Principal.

• Sept. 20, 2019– Milton’s varsity football team, the Milton Eagles, win against Roswell Hornets by a score of 16-12, completing this school year’s match for the Great American Rivalry Series.

• Sept. 20, 2019 – Apple releases the iPhone 11, whose new vibrant colors and trio of
    cameras excite people around the world, incl
    uding a host of Milton students.

• Sept. 25, 2019 – “Mario Kart Tour” is released, allowing people to play the fan-favorite racing game on their mobile phones.

• Oct. 17, 2019– Milton Volleyball team finishes a strong season going 17-19.

• Oct. 19, 2019– Milton’s Homecoming kicks off, sporting an ASTROWORLD theme, out on the front lawn.

• Oct. 26, 2019– Milton’s Latin Club members attend the Georgia Junior Classical League Fall Forum, with multiple students bringing home awards for their knowledge of the language and its history.

• Oct. 27, 2019 – Milton’s marching band is named as a finalist in the Bands of America Regional Competition and go on to place second in the class AAA.

• Nov. 1, 2019– Milton football completes another perfect region schedule, going 5-0 and winning another region championship

• Nov. 9, 2019– Milton’s Science Olympiad team places 7th overall at the Lambert Invitational Tournament as well as many students taking home individual awards, such as Rebecca Yu & Emily Song achieving 1st Place in Astronomy and Sophie Richardson & Sid Thatipamula receiving 2nd Place in Dynamic Planet.

• Nov. 10, 2019 – Milton Theater Company announces their chosen holiday musical, “Frozen Jr.” Tickets go on sale November 15 and feature four different showtimes.

• Nov. 20, 2019– Milton’s seniors volunteer in several locations in the community on Senior Day of Service

• Dec. 9, 2019– The “Sweets and Sweats” Monday kicks off the rest of Destress Week where students are treated to snacks and cozy clothes to prepare for first semester finals.

• Dec. 9, 2019– With the growing popularity of e-cigarettes, Milton’s City Council discusses whether they should extend its ban on the use of tobacco in public places to vapes at the biweekly work session.

• Jan. 7, 2020– The City of Milton hires Greg Botelho as the new Communications director. Previously the Newsdesk Editor in Atlanta’s CNN Center, Botelho stated his priorities in improving Milton is making the city’s website more comprehensive and using social media to connect with residents.

• Jan. 14, 2020– The extension of Charlotte Drive, a project located right outside the Milton Library, nears its final stages. The project will replace the three-way stop and traffic light with a roundabout and aims to decrease the congestion near that area during after school/work hours.

• Jan. 17, 2020– The Punchline Comedy Night, hosted at Milton High School, features Bone Hampton along with other talented members of the Punchline Comedy Club for the entertainment of the Milton community.

• Jan. 17, 2020– Milton’s FBLA represents the school in the annual Regional Leadership Conference; many students are able to snag the top 10 places and some are advancing to State.

• Jan. 21-24, 2020– Milton’s GSA holds an item donation drive for Lost-N-Found Youth, an Atlanta-based nonprofit (501c3) dedicated to ending homelessness for LGBTQ+ and sexual minority youth.

• Jan. 25, 2020– Milton’s Robotics team, the Robotic Eagles, participates in their regional league tournament against over 40 of the top teams and wins first overall as the highest-scoring team at the competition. They also win the overall Inspire Award, the Promote Award, and the Finalist Alliance Winner.

• Feb. 6, 2020 – The first death from COVID-19 occurs in the US, in Santa Clara, California.

• Feb. 7, 2020– Milton Basketball goes undefeated in the region and also secures a region championship.

• Feb. 9, 2020 – TAG Internship programs become available to juniors and seniors. Students are able to participate in up to four internships, two per year.

• Feb. 15, 2020 – Milton’s Competitive Dance Team attends the GHSA State Dance Invitational in the 7A division. Out of 28 teams, Milton placed 14th in their Pom routine and 16th in their Hip Hop routine.

• Feb. 15, 2020– Milton Cricket starts their inaugural season off with a win over Wheeler High School.

• Feb. 17, 2020 – Drama attends ThesCon 2020 and performs their show “SHENANDOAH” at the Bill Heard Theater. The drama department receives a ThesCon college scholarship along with superior ratings that were honored as GOLD TROUPE #6168.

• Feb. 23, 2020 – Twenty-five-year-old Ahmaud Arbery is shot and killed while jogging in a south Georgia residential area. The murderers are now (as of May 7) being charged with hate crimes, aggravated assault and murder.

• Feb. 25, 2020– The Eagles pick up a great 68-62 victory against the Newton Rams in the Elite Eight.

• March 8, 2020 – The Visual Art Department chooses three Milton art student’s works to display in the art exhibit. Five more students from Milton are recognized by Georgia’s largest youth exhibit, Capitol Art Exhibit in Atlanta.

• March 9, 2020 – The Australian bush fires destroy an estimate of 46 million acres of land, along with the deaths of 1 billion animals and the endangerment of thousands of species.

• March 12, 2020– All Spring sanctioned sports are canceled.

• March 12, 2020 – Gov. Brian Kemp announces the first Coronavirus death in Georgia in a live press conference. In the days following, several schools and businesses close their doors indefinitely.

• March 13, 2020– The girls’ lacrosse team finishes their shortened season going 4-0.

• March 16, 2020 – Fulton County Schools officially commences remote learning after closing all schools due to the Coronavirus pandemic. 

• March 20, 2020 – “Animal Crossing: New Horizons” is released for the Nintendo Switch, and soon after, Switch consoles sell out nationwide.

• March 20, 2020– Netflix releases the hit documentary “Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness.”

• March 21, 2020– Milton declares a local emergency in response to the spread of COVID-19. In addition, the City Council grants Mayor Joe Lockwood additional control over how the city can respond to COVID-19 and permits him to loosen some of the city’s current regulations over the next 30 days.

• March 28, 2020– With the Casino Royale theme, Milton’s prom was supposed to happen on this date at the Georgia Freight Depot. Unfortunately, due to the global pandemic, it is canceled along with other after school activities.

• April 13, 2020 – The College Board announces that all AP Exams will be 45 minutes and held online, in order to allow students to still have a chance to receive college credit for their AP courses.

• April 19, 2020 – The first episode of the mini-series “The Last Dance,” a feature documentary on Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls, airs on ESPN.

•  May 1, 2020 – Online classes effectively end for all Fulton County Schools seniors. Milton says goodbye to our fantastic Class of 2020.