Milton Basketball Playoff Recap

Jackson Thacker, Sports Writer

Recap

After coming off a record-breaking season, Milton hopes to continue their success in the playoffs. Milton has yet to lose a home or away game all year (4 losses have come in tournaments). Within the season the Eagles have managed to score over 2000 points and to limit their competition to around 1600 points. Currently, Milton is ranked 79th nationally and 3rd in the state. 

Players

Sophomore sensation Bruce Thornton has helped the Eagles all around the court with his inside and outside scoring game. 3 Point specialist Evan Hurst has been draining threes all year and has done a great job of setting up scoring plays for other players. Lebbeus Overton has been a key player in the paint grabbing rebounds. Devin Farrell has assisted the team through his ability to pass and to shoot beyond the arc. Coach Allen Whitehart has the team playing at an up-tempo pace, which requires fast players, and quick passes to lead to scoring opportunities. Many successful college teams such as North Carolina, Gonzaga and Auburn run the up-tempo offense.

Bracket

On Milton’s side of the bracket some other teams are Westlake and Newton, two programs with a rich basketball history. Other powerhouses appearing in the bracket include nationally-ranked Grayson, Wheeler, Shiloh, North Gwinnett and Norcross. 

Playoff Recap

Milton went into the first round as a heavy favorite and lived up to that statement by taking down Central Gwinnett 86-63. Milton then advanced to the next round to play North Cobb and yet again took care of business, winning 72-57. The Eagles took on Newton in a thrilling game where they just edged out the rams in a 68-62 thriller. Milton will play Wheeler in the Final Four in Buford. Grayson and McEachern are the other teams competing to secure a spot in the championship.