Milton vs. Lambert: Will Milton tame the Longhorns?

Jackson Thacker, Sports Writer

As region play starts to come to an end, Milton will have to travel to Lambert on Friday. Lambert, a team who is currently winless, is determined for a win, and it could not come at a better time. On the opposite hand, Milton has been running through region play by dominating opponents in every quarter. Earlier this week, Lambert’s football fan page released a tweet saying, “It does not matter how many D1 commits they have, they are still soft”. The tweet only adds fuel to this region game.

Scouting Report: Lambert

As previously mentioned, Lambert is currently winless on the season and only averaging 13 points per game, which is  not a recipe for success against a talented Eagle defense. Lambert is a pass first team that has a talented quarterback to receiver combination that averages 166 yards per game. Rushing has been a common hindrance against the Lambert offense. The Longhorns have been averaging a measly 40 rushing yards per game. 

Lambert’s Peyton Rich (Senior) has already thrown for over 1,200 yards and has a strong 4:1 touchdown to interception ratio. Rich’s main target is Kojo Antwi (Sophomore) who has 534 reception yards and six touchdowns.

Looking to the defense, Lambert has had their fair share of defensive struggles as well. The defense has five sacks and six interceptions which is well below the region and Georgia average. Lambert’s strongest defensive player, cornerback Anthony Newton (Senior) who already has 30 tackles on the season. Newton also plays a crucial role in the secondary by locking up receivers.  

Scouting Report: Milton

Milton is currently on a roll winning their past three games by landslide victories. Milton looks to continue the trend when they take on Lambert this Friday. Much of the credit can be given to Sophomore quarterback Devin Farrell as he has helped revive the Eagles’ passing game. Farrell has managed to rack up 540 passing yards this season and has four touchdowns and two interceptions. Along with the passing game, Milton has established a strong running game courtesy of Senior running back Ahmad Junearick. Junearick has been tearing through defenses with his 775 rushing yards and ten touchdowns.

The Eagles’ defense continues to punish opponents by  only allowing 12 points per game, 19 sacks and seven interceptions on the season. Leading the charge is defensive lineman Jonathan Pittman. Pittman has been very destructive with 24 tackles, seven sacks and four forced fumbles. Pittman should have a big game against the weak Lambert O-line. 

Outcome:

Milton should run away with this game without a challenge. Milton has better athletes and coaching than Lambert. With this win, it will set the Eagles up with a region championship at home versus the Raiders of North Forsyth.

Score Prediction:

Milton-50 Lambert-7

MVP: Jonathan Pittman

Horns Down