Milton Opens Regional Play at West Forsyth

October 8, 2019

Your Milton Eagles will open up divisional play at West Forsyth this Friday night at 7:30 p.m. The Eagles will be looking to once again be divisional champs this season, and the remainder of their schedule is full of opponents within the 5-A division.

West Forsyth Statistical Leaders

Blake Whitfield (Senior, Quarterback): 38/70, 411 passing yards, 3 TDs, 105 rushing yards

Daba Fofana (Junior, Running Back): 61 carries, 224 rushing yards, 3 TDs

Casey Cowart (Senior, Wide Receiver): 23 receptions, 316 receiving yards, 3 TDs

Eli Orr (Senior, Linebacker): 34 total tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss

Interceptions: 4 players tied with 1 INT

Sacks: 4 players tied with 1 sack

West Forsyth Team Statistics

Passing Yards Per Game: 122.8 yards

Rushing Yards Per Game: 93.0 yards

Points Scored Per Game: 15

Points Allowed Per Game: 31

West Forsyth Team Preview

The West Forsyth Wolverines have struggled thus far this season. They enter regional play with a record of 1-3, and in two of those losses, they have allowed 47 points. Combine that with the fact that the Wolverines have scored over 10 points only once and average just over 200 yards of total offense per game, and you can understand why they sit where they do.

The run game has been what has held West Forsyth back. They average under 100 yards per game on the ground and average only three yards per carry. Senior Daba Fofana leads the team with over 220 yards this season and is a solid back, but the Wolverines need to find some other options at tailback, as he has 40 more carries than any other back on the team. Senior QB Blake Whitfield is second on the team in rushing yards and can create with his legs, but he struggles in the passing game. Whitfield has completed only 54% of his passes this season, which prompted head coach Shawn Cahill to play junior Drew Southern for much of their last game against McCallie. The WR core is mostly a one-man show at West Forsyth, as 6”1 senior Casey Cowart leads the team with over 300 receiving yards.

After starting out the year by allowing a combined 94 points in their first two games, they have rebounded to only allow 29. Senior linebackers Eli Orr and Jack Hughes lead the team in tackles with 34 and 24 respectively, and also have combined for six tackles for loss. The Wolverines have recorded a total of four sacks and four interceptions, and perhaps their biggest weakness in their size up front. No player along the D-line comes in at above 6”1 or weighs above 225 lbs.

Milton Statistical Leaders

Jackson Weaver (Senior, Quarterback): 26/49, 265 yards, 1 TD

Ahmad Junearick (Senior, Running Back): 81 carries with 487 yards, 7 TD’s 

Will Stax (Senior, Wide Receiver): 12 receptions with 126 yards, 1 TD

Jack Rhodes (Senior, Safety): 30 total tackles, 6 tackles per game, 3 tackles for loss

Jonathan Pittman: 6 sacks, 1 forced fumble

Interceptions: 3 players tied with 1

Milton Team Statistics

Passing Yards Per Game: 82.2

Rushing Yards Per Game: 187.4

Points Scored Per Game: 21

Points Allowed Per Game: 14

Milton Team Prediction

Coming in at 2-3 this season Milton has struggled to put some close games away this season. The eagles really need a win to boost their confidence. Milton has shown some offensive struggles the past few games only averaging around 11 points per game. Entering region play Milton should be able to excel in the offensive game. The eagles have been really priding themselves on the defense. Milton has forced over 70 tackles in five games which is so far leading the region.

Milton needs to step up in region play due to the lack of wins. For the first time this year Milton should be able to air the ball out alot. Senior Will Stax and Senior Jake Walter have made some amazing plays at wide receiver and both should have a breakout game. Milton’s leading rusher Senior Ahmad Juenarick should continue his success in establishing the run game. 

Milton’s defense has been playing lights out only allowing 15 points per game against high class opponents. 

The defense should really light the wolverines up. Expect Milton to really penetrate the backfield and force a few turnovers. Senior Jonathon Pitman is leading the defensive line pressure with 6 sacks on the year so far.

Parker’s Game Prediction

After a brutal opening to the season in which Milton travelled to California, took on rivals Roswell and Alpharetta, and two schools that were ranked in the top ten in the state of Georgia, the schedule will lighten up. 

Regional play is a make or break portion of the year for Milton, as State Playoff seeding is now on the line, as well as the opportunity to repeat as back-to-back region champs.

West Forsyth has stumbled to a 1-3 record this season and yet to score more than 20 points in a game. The Wolverines’ struggling offense will likely not be able to move the ball against a tough Milton defense that has kept the Eagles in every game they have played this season. I do not expect West Forsyth to eclipse that 20 point mark in this one, as Milton cruises to a win thanks to a nice bounce back performance from the Eagle offense.

Score Prediction: Milton 35 | West Forsyth 10

Game MVP: Ahmad Junearick | RB | Senior

Jackson’s Game Prediction

Milton should have no trouble beating West Forsyth on Friday. The Wolverine offense should not be able to move the ball against the powerful eagle defense. Milton should also come out and force a few turnovers to take West out of the game. The eagle offense should see a much-needed improvement in the passing game against a much weaker secondary than they have played all year.

Score Prediction: Milton 42 | West Forsyth 9

Game MVP: Ahmad Junearick | RB | Senior