Milton vs. the West Coast

Jackson Thacker, Sports Writer

This week Milton will make history by being the first team from Georgia to play in a high school football game in California. Milton will take on a powerhouse in the JSerra Catholic School Lions. Milton will try to bounce back from Friday’s heartbreaking loss to Buford by pulling off an upset across the country. Milton will play alongside other nationally ranked high schools such as Mater Dei and St. Johns Bosco.

Scouting Report: JSerra

JSerra is packed with talent including many players with multiple division one offers. On the offensive side, JSerra runs a balanced offense which involves running and passing the ball in even amounts. The running game is led by four-star California commit Senior Chris Street. Street is more of a speed back, so perimeter blocking is the key for success. The passing game is led by Junior quarterback General Booty (yes, that is his actual name). Booty is a traditional passer so he will try to utilize short five-yard routes.

JSerra’s defense is one of their biggest strengths. They pride themselves on physicality, especially on the defensive line. The secondary runs a man coverage scheme similar to Buford. The linebacker core is led by Sophomore Malaki Te’o, who already has nine tackles on the season.

Scouting Report: Milton

Milton will take a long plane ride to Los Angeles to play on Saturday. Alongside JSerra, Milton is filled with talent. One of the biggest questions is who will the starting quarterback be? In the Buford game, Senior Jackson Weaver came out and led a touchdown drive, but then had an average game after that. Then, late in the fourth quarter, the Milton faithful saw Sophomore Devin Farrell throw and run for two touchdowns to give the eagles a chance. Farrell seems to be the more athletic player while Weaver is more experienced and knows more about the playbook.

Looking away from the quarterback situation, Milton will continue the running game with Senior Ahmad Junearick and Sophomore Jordan McDonald. Junearick and Mcdonald are a lightning and thunder combination in the backfield.

The Eagles will look to continue their defensive success by forcing turnovers. The defense is averaging two turnovers every game and aiming to continue the success.

Final:

This will be a very difficult challenge for the Eagles and a long travel. JSerra is a very powerful team and Milton’s skill level is not quite on par with the Lions yet. However, expect Milton to put up a fight in a close game.

Score prediction: JSerra 34 Milton 27

MVP: Ahmad Junearick