What’s new in the CCC?

September 9, 2019

After a 4-year hiatus, the Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) is back in charge of the College and Career Center (CCC) at Milton. Fulton County could not afford to sustain the staff position in the CCC due to budget constraints, meaning that there will be some slight changes to the way the Center works during the 2019-2020 school year.

PTO President Kristi Gillam and CCC Committee Lead Shannon Wager spearhead the PTO’s efforts. Parent volunteers, trained by Wager, will be in the room during operating hours, which will now be Monday-Friday from 11:25 a.m.-1:30 p.m.. Those volunteers are present to answer questions and ensure that college reps are set up and comfortable. 

College representative visits have already begun and will follow the same rules they always have, with students coming in to meet with reps from select colleges and ask questions. The link to sign up for visits can be found on Milton’s CCC website (http://miltonccc.weebly.com/). The visits normally only occur during the room’s operating hours, with some taking place earlier in the morning.

As of right now, students are not allowed to come into the CCC to work and print out schoolwork at any time, contrary to how things have worked in previous years. Currently, Milton faculty are looking into placing a staff member in the room during open hours, allowing students to use the CCC like they have in the past.

Senior boot camps will also be operating differently this year, as they will now take place in the media center to accommodate for more people. The senior boot camps are provided to inform seniors on how to handle the application process and choose the best college for you. The boot camps will begin on Sept. 7th, with other sessions taking place on Wednesdays during the lunch periods. 

The College Fair will operate as normal, with the date being set for Sept. 19th, likely at night.

Still, the goal for the College and Career Center stays the same. “We have always been there to educate students on options for college and their paths and career options”  Wager states. “We are only the navigators, there to guide students on their journey.”