Freedom Bowl Preview

Freedom Bowl Preview

August 29, 2019

The second annual Freedom Bowl is a three-day event held at Milton High School. Many elite teams all over the east coast come to play and raise awareness for veterans. Alongside the games, the Freedom Bowl emphasizes the traits of inspiring character, leadership, and teamwork on and off the field within the coaches and players.

Coach Adam Clack says “We are honored to play in the Freedom Bowl. It teaches the team service and civic duty elements”. The Freedom Bowl will have a total of six games played this weekend. 

Game One: Alpharetta, GA vs Milton, GA | Thursday August 29th | 7:30 PM

Game Two: Pickerington OH, vs Winter Park, FL | Friday August 30th | 5:00 PM

Game Three:  Cocoa, FL vs Hoover, AL | Friday August 30th | 8:30 PM

Game Four: Bishop Sycamore, OH vs Daytona Mainland, FL | Saturday August 31th |10:30 AM

Game Five: Clearwater Central Catholic, FL vs Brentwood Academy, TN | Saturday August 31th 

Game Six: UMS Wright, AL vs Western, FL | Saturday August 31th | 7:00 PM

Preview of the Freedom Bowl:

The start of Milton’s 2019 football season was postponed another week due to inclement weather. Instead of playing Buford in the Corky Kell Classic for their first game of 2019, Milton will play their season opener at the Eagles Nest against longtime rival Alpharetta this Thursday at 7:30. Alpharetta played their first game against Collins Hill, losing by a score of 28-3. 

Alpharetta will try to be the first team this season to take down the defending state champions. After defeating Colquitt County in Mercedes Benz Stadium last season to win their first ever state championship, Milton will try to start right where they left off with a win against Alpharetta. Milton is playing in their second Freedom Bowl, their first round being 42-17 win vs Cardinal Gibbons (Florida) back in 2018.

Scouting Report: Alpharetta

The crosstown rival, Alpharetta, will take a short bus ride to play in front of a sellout crowd at the Eagles nest. The Raiders are coached by Jacob Nichols (fifth year) and have only racked up one win over four losses to the eagles during his tenure. Alpharetta is led by senior quarterback Will Gerdes. The raiders will also rely on junior running back Dylan Merrell. On the defensive side, Alpharetta uses a lot of zone coverages to make up for the lack of skilled secondary players. Milton will see zone coverage a lot this year.

Scouting Report: Milton

After missing out on game one, Milton is eager to get on the gridiron and showcase their power. Many questions will be answered surrounding the young team and how they play coming off an emotional state championship. 

Coach Adam Clack is coming into his third year at Milton with a three game win streak against the raiders. When asked what the keys to victory are, Clack responded with “playing very disciplined football and controlling the line of scrimmage”. Coach Clack feels that he can see some impact from seniors such as Stephen Michaels, Paul Tchio, Jack Rhodes, and Ahmad Junearick. These players will need to step up in order to beat Alpharetta.

Expect to see both Jackson Weaver (Senior) and Devin Farrell (Sophomore) see the field at quarterback. Weaver is more of the traditional pocket passer, while Farrell is a dual threat quarterback, much like Jordan Yates of last season. The Eagles will rely heavily on the passing game to combat Alpharetta’s zone coverage. Leading the wide receiver core is Will Stax (Junior), Matt Evert (Junior), and Daniel Black (Junior) on the perimeter. Wil Marinich (Junior) will be in the slot position and Adam Freas (Sophomore) will switch in. Watch out for Ahmad Junearick, as he should see a lot of carries as the eagles will try to establish a running game.

On defense, Milton will use a variety of coverages and blitzes to keep the raiders on their heels. The defense is lead by hard hitter Stephen Michaels and ballhawking safety Jack Rhodes.

Jackson’s score prediction: Milton 35 | Alpharetta 13 

MVP: Jackson Weaver

Mason’s score prediction: Milton 31 | Alpharetta 14

MVP: Jackson Weaver