• April 22Soccer opens up playoffs with home game against Grayson (Wednesday, April 24th)

• April 17Dr. Michael "Mike" Looney Announced As New Fulton County Superintendent

Current Tennis Season

Current Tennis Season

Nikki Gomez, Staff Writer

Milton High School’s girl’s tennis team has started their season. Last year, the tennis team made it to the final four of the state championship, which was the first time in school history that has happened. Tryouts were in the second week of January and the players have since been practicing every Monday after school. They play two matches per week and had their first big match of the season on March 12 against Lambert High School.

This year, the varsity tennis team added three strong freshmen, Haley Gaudette, Lexi Barbee and Sarayu Ayyalasomayajula to the roster. There are four seniors, four juniors and three freshmen currently on the team. The strongest player on the team is junior Juliana Mascagni and she is ranked as the 11th best varsity player in Georgia. She played in the match against Lambert and won 4-1.

“The upcoming season is looking very good. We’re currently 11-0” says Catherine Yealy, the Varsity coach for the girl’s tennis team. “We’re most likely the strongest team in the state along with Walton and Lambert High School.”  The team made it to the final four (semi-finals) in the state tournament; Yealy hopes “to make it further this season.”

The Region tournament was March 26th and March 28th.  The team lost 4-5 against St. Andrews from Boca Raton, Florida; won  8-1 against Ensworth from Nashville, Tennessee; and 5-4 against Sacred Heart from Louisville, Kentucky. The team is now ranked fifth in the nation.

However, there is always room for improvement, and Yealy describes her plans for this year’s season as “trying to keep the lineups creative and see who plays well together, as well as keep the team morale up.”

So far, the girl’s tennis have proven that they’re bringing it all when it comes to playing, and this season seems very promising.

About the Writer
Nikki Gomez, Staff Writer

Nikki Gomez is a sophomore and a returning staff member to the Eagle Edition. She enjoys reading, watching crime shows and playing tennis. Nikki hopes...