Milton Chorus Takes on Italy

The Milton chorus will be visiting Italy this coming spring, leaving on May 30th and returning June 9th. They will be touring Venice, Rome, and Florence. The trip has been three years in the making.

Mr. Bowers, the chorus instructor, is extremely excited about the trip.“Any time that we can expose students to other cultures – it is a good thing,” he says.  He adds, “Musically, there is a great history in all of Italy, but the Venetian School of music is a direct link to many of the musical elements that we experience today. “

They will be performing mass at the St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City and St. Mark’s Cathedral in Venice. As for what will be performed, Mr. Bowers states that a concert program has been chosen, but it’s subject to change. However, rehearsals for the Italy trip will not take place until after the spring concert.

Performing can prove to be nerve-wracking for some, but not for  Allison Sandiford, who’s a soprano in chorale and concert. She says, “ Usually to fight nerves, I do some breathing exercises, and really I try to focus on what I’m singing or performing rather than the audience.”

Italy, which is known for its cultural and tourist destinations, is an appealing destination for many students.“I’m very excited to see the stereotypical tourist sites like the Colosseum, but I’m probably most looking forward to Venice and its beautiful architecture and canals.” Sandiford gushes.

Sandiford continues, “The excitement has built up as we get closer to [the trip]. I love traveling and this will be a fun trip with friends where we get to sing in crazy places and have unique experiences.”