A forecast for the 2020 presidential election

Jessi Rich, Staff Writer

With the 2020 presidential election on the horizon, several public figures have begun to announce their candidacy for the 46th President of the United States. Among those public figures are senators, representatives, and even entrepreneurs.

The following are the current Democratic candidates :

• New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker
  • South Bend, Indiana mayor Pete Buttigieg
  • California Sen. Kamala Harris
  • New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand
  • Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard
  • Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren
  • Former U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development and former mayor of San Antonio Julian Castro
  • Former Maryland Rep. John Delaney
  • Author and lecturer Marianne Williamson
  • Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders
  • New York entrepreneur Andrew Yang.

The list certainly mirrors the diverse pattern displayed by the recent midterm elections, as numerous minorities such as women and people of color are among the hopefuls for the Democratic Party nomination. Some candidates have already begun sharing their platforms, including Senator Kamala Harris, who held a televised town hall, mediated by Jake Tapper on Monday, Jan. 28 to answer the public’s questions.

While a fair amount of people have officialized their candidacy, there is also a significant number of figures either rumored to be running or still considering running. Some celebrities have been thrust into this category, such as Oprah Winfrey, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg, yet some distinguished politicians are also still making their decisions on the race, such as former vice president Joe Biden, former candidate for Georgia governor Stacey Abrams, and Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke.

Rumor has it that the Democratic party platform for the coming election will be more progressive than it has been in past years–perhaps too progressive for some Americans’ tastes.

Issues Democrats are keen on this election include a better immigration system (especially along America’s southern border with Mexico), universal healthcare, closing the economic distance between the classes, women’s right and implementing stricter gun control.

For the Republican Party, President Donald Trump has already begun his campaign for re-election. However, some members of the Republican party are considering challenging incumbent President Trump for the Republican Party nomination, including former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, former Ohio governor John Kasich, and former Texas senator Ted Cruz.

Former CEO of Starbucks Howard Schultz remains a potential third-party/independent candidate.

According to Ballotpedia, a total of 537 candidates have filed to run for president as of Feb. 18, including 184 Democratic candidates, 69 Republican candidates, 19 Libertarian candidates, and 14 Green candidates.

So, while the next presidential election may seem far away, the truth is that it’s closer than it appears, and the best the American people–and the students of Milton–can do to prepare themselves to cast their vote is to stay informed.

By: Jessi Rich

Image: fact retriever