• April 22Soccer opens up playoffs with home game against Grayson (Wednesday, April 24th)

• April 17Dr. Michael "Mike" Looney Announced As New Fulton County Superintendent

Filed under All News

America welcomes freshman class of Congress

After the loaded election last year, Congress members are taking their seats. The freshman class is the most diverse class in Congress since 2016, bringing in more women and people of color (POC) than ever before. The class also changed the focus of the House and Senate with the House being Democratic while the Senate is more Republican.

42 women were elected to Congress, 38 being Democratic and four being Republican. One of the women, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, is the youngest member of Congress, and she is the first person of color to represent the 14th district of New York. Additionally, Sharice Davids and Debra Haaland, the first two Native American women to be elected to Congress, and Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib, the first two Muslim American women elected, are part of the freshman class.

On the topic of diversity, 21% of the freshman class is POC. Out of those 24 people of color, 75% went to graduate school, and 33% have law degrees. 10 POC members represent mostly white districts, while 14 represent minority-majority districts.

With the addition of Krysten Sinema, Angie Craig, Sharice Davids, Katie Hill and Chris Pappas, the number of openly LGBT Congress members hits double digits. Other Congress members have shown support for their gay colleagues and constituents, such as Rep. Jennifer Wexton, who hung a transgender pride flag outside her office in honor of the community.

Georgia received a new representative as well. Lucy McBath, a Democratic-elect, defeated Karen Handel, the previous Republican-elect, in the race for House. Mcbath is the first black woman to represent the 6th district of Georgia, and she is one of the nine new black candidates elected to Congress.

With a Democratic House and a Republican Senate, many of President Trump’s plans, such as new tax cuts, Affordable Care Act changes, and stricter immigration legislation, will be tougher to pass. The Republicans in the Senate are determined to defend the president and allow his nominees to serve in the federal judiciary, whereas the Democrats in the House plan to launch investigations on President Trump.

However, there are divides within the parties as well. The Democrats in the House have a large population of progressives, such as Ocasio-Cortez, who will conflict with the moderates in the party, such as Nancy Pelosi. Progressives aim for healthcare for all, crackdowns on predatory banks and generally want to pursue radical ideas, whereas Moderates have a more fiscal conservative or social conservative mindset. The difference in party views makes it difficult for the House to unify their agenda.

Image: Boston Spirit

About the Writer
Joelle Dlugozima, Staff Writer

Joelle Dlugozima is a sophomore and a returning reporter for the Eagle Edition. She enjoys writing op-eds and community news. Her goal is to attend a college...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “America welcomes freshman class of Congress”

1. Barbara Miller on January 27th, 2019 4:08 pm

Well written and researched article. Enjoyed learning the statistics of the new House of Representatives.
    Great topic for a High School newspaper.
    Congratulations!!!!!!

2. Barbara Miller on January 27th, 2019 4:21 pm

Thanks for the well written and researched article that helps me understand the new House and its diversity.
    I am delighted to see that a sophomore in high school is interested in politics. I think that is very important for the future of the country.
    Congratulations for a terrific article.
    Thanks.
    Barbara Miller

• America welcomes freshman class of Congress

All News

Spirit Animals and You

All News

GHP accepts eight Milton students for 2019 program

All News

Japanese students join our student body for exchange program

All News

It won the Oscar, but did it win my approval?

Academic Help

AP Lit vs. College English; how to choose your next literature class

All News

Alliance of American Football meets Milton

All News

2019 March Madness Preview

All News

The aftermath of the polar vortex

All News

Spotlight on Counselor Lahman

All News

A forecast for the 2020 presidential election