Teacher Spotlight – Ms. Upshur

Teacher Spotlight – Ms. Upshur

Ms. Upshur with student members of FBLA. From left to right: Angela Scaria, Shruthi Saravanan, Ms. Upshur, and Harrison Iles.

Karen Liu, Staff Writer

As 2018 draws to a close, students are finishing up final exams and last-minute work in preparation for winter break. In the spirit of giving thanks, The Eagle Edition wants to spotlight Dorris Upshur, a career technology teacher at Milton High School. Ms. Upshur has been a teacher at Milton for four years, teaching classes in disciplines such as Introduction to Business, Website Design, Advanced Website Designed, Introduction to Digital Technology and AP Computer Science Principles. Ms. Upshur’s classes have encompassed a variety of grade levels over the years, but predominantly consist of 9th and 10th grade students in order to provide them the foundations and basic skills to take more advanced technical courses later on in high school.

In addition to the wide variety of classes that she has taught over the years, Ms. Upshur has also sponsored a diverse selection of school clubs such as Video Club,  Muslim Student Association (MSA) and Future Business Leaders Of America (FBLA). As a club advisor, Ms. Upshur remains heavily involved in Milton’s chapter of FBLA, a branch of the largest student business organization in the world, dedicated to preparing students in becoming “community-minded business leaders in a global society through relevant career preparation and leadership experiences.”

When asked about her favorite part of being an FBLA advisor, she says that it’s “the students [who] energize me to keep going and learning.” Over her years of sponsoring different clubs, she steadily maintains that “it’s really about helping the students,” a central belief behind her emphasis on supporting FBLA as a student-led organization.

Her teaching style and values have made Ms. Upshur a popular teacher among students. Says Shruthi Saravanan, a Senior and member of FBLA, “she’s an incredibly open teacher who is someone you can talk to about anything. She’s a great leader and advisor, and she really gives you the opportunity, the guidance, the freedom to develop and lead our own organization.” As eloquently summarized by Angela Scaria, a past student of Ms. Upshur’s and current co-President of FBLA, “She’s da bomb dot com.”

Ms. Upshur says that a central source of her motivation as a teacher stems from wanting to “encourage more females and minorities to study STEM subjects.” However, regardless of the path one chooses, Ms. Upshur says that one of the most important lessons that she wants to impart upon her students is to “treat others the way you want to be treated” and to uphold your word as “a contract” — lessons that are undeniably relevant in the business world.

Thank you Ms. Upshur for all that you do! Your efforts are sincerely appreciated by your students and the Milton Community.

Sources:

https://www.fbla-pbl.org/about/

About the Writer
Karen Liu, Staff Writer

Karen Liu is a senior at Milton High School. She is a member of the Beta, NHS, FBLA, RNHC and Chinese Culture clubs. In her free time, she enjoys drawing,...