• April 22Soccer opens up playoffs with home game against Grayson (Wednesday, April 24th)

• April 17Dr. Michael "Mike" Looney Announced As New Fulton County Superintendent

Milton’s public pep rally and its redefinition of school spirit

Samantha Homcy, Editor-in-Chief

Homecoming is a yearly tradition in American high schools, colleges, and towns to welcome back alumni and former residents. It also can come with celebrations such as football games, parades, and dances. Milton takes pride in its homecoming traditions, but this year, the Student Council added some more events to the lineup. One of them moved the yearly homecoming pep rally from during the school day on a Friday to a Thursday evening, inviting students and families to partake in the festivities.

“Homecoming is about the entire community.” says Bradlea Satchfield, Student Council’s Junior class sponsor. The event was created to function as a fall festival with various elements of a typical high school pep rally, such as the football and cheerleading teams. The dance team and a live band were slated to perform, and various people and organizations stepped up to the plate to prepare fun activities. The National Art Honor Society had a Henna booth, Rho Kappa planned a Cake Walk, the Psychology Club did an “Inversion Google” challenge, Student Council ran a pumpkin painting table, and the National Honor Society set up a photo booth. Additionally, Principal Brian Jones, Assistant Principal Cristina Mallon and Administrator Richard Spierto volunteered to have pies thrown at their faces in at the event.  

On the evening of the pep rally, people came out in droves. There was something to do for people of all ages and lots of entertainment. Many also enjoyed the cuisine from the three food trucks serving the event. The fun continued into the evening, with children still playing on the front lawn long after sunset.

“I hope the community will view this as a tradition they [can] look forward to with each homecoming week,” says Satchfield. “I hope it becomes a way for the community to…get a glimpse of how great it is to be a Milton Eagle.”

In previous years, homecoming week has been primarily focused on the football game and school dance. This year, Satchfield had the opportunity to make homecoming something more- a time for students, families, alumni, faculty and friends to come together and have a good time. “The pep rally structured this way is giving whole school a way to participate in the spirit of homecoming,” says Satchfield. “Isn’t that what homecoming week is about?”

About the Writer
Samantha Homcy, Editor-in-Chief

Sam, a senior at Milton, is very excited to spend her second year on The Eagle Edition as the Co-Editor-in-Chief! She is also involved in NHS, NEHS, Lit...