Emergence of Cultural Clubs at Milton

Members of Chinese Culture Club gather for a group photo, marking the end of a great school year.

Karen Liu, Staff Writer

Milton High School has always offered a variety of club organizations for students of varying interests and backgrounds. Popular examples span from a variety of service-oriented clubs such as Beta Club, Habitat for Humanity and National Honor Society, to more academically-focused organizations such as Mu Alpha Theta, Spanish Club and National English Honor Society. These school organizations cater to students in a variety of ways, whether it be providing an introductory platform for those looking to try something new, creating a community and forming friendships among students with like-minded interests, or lending others the opportunity to further pursue their passions. While these clubs and organizations have always held a strong presence at Milton, the emergence of cultural clubs provides a new dimension to the traditional extracurricular selection.

In the last year, Milton has witnessed the emergence of a variety of cultural appreciation clubs. Rather than focusing on a specific subject area or career pathway like some of the other established school organizations, these cultural clubs place emphasis on the understanding and appreciation of different cultures and their respective values, customs and beliefs. These clubs are a way for students who identify with certain cultures to reaffirm their identities, while also encouraging students who do not share those connections to learn more about new cultures different from their own. In doing so, cultural clubs are able to embolden students about their heritages and identities while also creating stronger relations to the rest of the student body.

Examples of cultural clubs that have recently been established at Milton include Chinese Culture Club, MIST (Muslim Interscholastic Tournament), and Asian Student Union.

Charmaine Hur, co-founder of Chinese Culture Club, says that she was motivated to form the club to “encourage diversity awareness” and to use her experiences living in China to “educate and excite others about the many aspects” of the country. As a member of Chinese Culture Club, I can personally speak to the positive environment of the club, which meets once a week to learn about the cultures of different Chinese provinces as well as to eat and drink typical Asian snacks such as egg tarts, Asian pears, rambutan and boba tea (also known as bubble tea, pearl milk tea, or simply boba). Additionally, although the club is made up of many members who have Chinese heritages, it also includes and welcomes members who don’t, evidencing the open nature of these organizations.

These clubs attest to the growing interest surrounding different cultures, and the steps students are willing to take to learn and spread awareness about the cultures of themselves and others. Hopefully, these established clubs will serve as the predecessors for future endeavors to further the understanding of the different cultures that make up our community.

Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

About the Writer
Karen Liu, Staff Writer
Karen Liu is a senior at Milton High School. She is a member of the Beta, NHS, FBLA, RNHC and Chinese Culture clubs. In her free time, she enjoys drawing, reading, writing and spending time with her friends and family.