Milton Cross Country 2018: tougher but better

Butzow

Butzow

Butzow

Nadine Haddad, Staff Writer

The 2018 Milton Cross Country team introduced additional regulations to the season, including a new cut policy, practice schedule and attendance expectations.

Aidan O’Hare, a junior at Milton and a JV cross country runner, shares her thoughts regarding the newly commenced season.

O’Hare mentions the new cut policy and explains that she understands its purpose, as it “improves the quality of the team” and “helps regulate funding for its limited capacity.” She explains that the runners were primarily evaluated through time trials, and the top 90 males and top 90 females made the cuts.

Nevertheless, O’Hare adds that there were other external factors the coaches took into consideration when deciding who makes the team, such as injuries.

The Milton Cross Country website discloses that the policy was also established due to the need to better assess the runners and guarantee each athletes’ safety. The website ensures that the change will “continue to provide a positive practice environment.”

Another notable change made to the team includes a different practice schedule. O’Hare mentions that although practices were originally after school only, starting in September, there will be morning practices on Wednesdays. The Milton Cross Country website states that students will be dismissed from the team if they accumulate more than two unexcused absences from practice or more than one absence from a meet.

O’Hare explains that although the policies are noticeably stricter this season, she “believe[s] that it is just as family-like as before,” and that the “cross country vibe” is still there. She adds that the new team guidelines were made for the overall well-being of the team and will benefit the athletes’ skills and abilities in the long run.