Changes in the Milton parking lots

Changes in the Milton parking lots

Kahn Li McClaire, Editor-in-Chief

This school year, students and staff who drive are required to follow  different rules for the parking on campus. Unlike the past years, students no longer receive assigned parking spots and depending upon when they get to school determines how close to the school they park. Coach Gary Sylvestri explains that “without assigned spots, students will no longer need to park in overflow and check in up front when someone parked in their assigned spot.”

In addition, the teacher lot and the student lot were switched. The first three rows in the red are for visitor parking and the fourth row is for parking spots being auction off for the fundraising of school sports.  The fifth through tenth rows became the staff parking lot while the remaining spots in the red, blue, and baseball lots are for the students.

Many students feel as though the changes are not resolutions. Senior Ryan Barr thinks that “ it’s not really fixing any problems…By moving the student section to the right parking lot [looking towards the school from Northwestern], that just makes it so the traffic in front of school is even more clogged, rather than closer to the Birmingham Highway entrance.” However, others agree with the changes. Senior Smera Dhal “like[s] the concept of no assigned spots because it allows an equal chance for students to get a good spot.”

Despite the conflicting feedback from the changes, Sylvestri believes “everyone will benefit from a better flow of traffic” and ensures that the administration will “enforce all rules and violators are subject to being stickered, towed and/or have their permits suspended.”