All you need to know about Student Council elections

You may have noticed a flooding of posters around the school and campaign messages on your social media accounts all advertising one thingStudent Council. The council plans on being entirely student-led this year.

Elections for Student Council positions are returning to Milton, as more people are competing for positions than last year’s election. The elected positions are especially growing in popularity. Because of the new elections, there will be no interviews held with the Student Council sponsors like in years previous.

Elections will be held Aug. 29 through Aug. 30. Students will vote using an app called Election Runner, and they will be able to vote for Executive Officers and class officers for their grade. Additionally, students will have a chance to meet with candidates personally the week of voting.

Candidates for every position will be able to talk to students and promote their campaign during lunch this week. Monday was designated for Executive Officers such as presidents and vice presidents, and Tuesday is designated for general class positions. Students will find candidates in the Student Success center or walking around the cafeteria.

Future candidates for the 2019 elections and beyond can show their interest by applying through a school administered Google Form, and attending the following meeting to go over campaigning processes. Amanda Connell, a Milton teacher and head of this year’s Student Council, says they “rely heavily on the candidates to do a good job of getting their name out there” and that they “need to talk to their peers about the process and encourage voting.” Anyone who is interested in taking part in their class’s council next year should look out for posters around the school and reminders in The Eagle Update.

Connell expects the council to explore some Milton traditions and revamp them to get students more engaged. “If something isn’t working or is outdated, I want them to find a better way to encourage school spirit, school participation, and sense of belonging in our school,” Connell says.

About the Writers
Joelle Dlugozima, Staff Writer
Joelle Dlugozima is a sophomore and a returning reporter for the Eagle Edition. She enjoys writing op-eds and community news. Her goal is to attend a college out of state to get out of the heat. When she’s not writing articles, she is playing soccer or hanging with friends.  
Morgan Pickett, Staff Writer

Morgan is a senior this year and new to the Eagle Edition staff. She is passionate about astronomy, linguistics, history, and books, as well as sports such as soccer. This is her third year being involved in Milton’s color guard and she is also a dancer. She enjoys numerous TV shows, movies, and comics that take up way too much of her time. She hopes to study astronomy, physics and metaphysics in college, but is looking forward to a great year with The Eagle Edition first.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “All you need to know about Student Council elections”

1. Foster Steinbeck on August 28th, 2018 5:59 pm

Good Article!

2. Caroline Franklin on August 29th, 2018 9:53 am

Great article!!!

• All you need to know about Student Council elections

Back to School

Emergence of Cultural Clubs at Milton

Back to School

AP Seminar at Milton

• All News

Inside AP Psychology’s scheduling problems

Back to School

AP World History teachers shift to verbal assessments

Sports

Milton Eagles Varsity Volleyball heads to State Championship

All News

Milton aims to start 3-0 in regional play with a homecoming win

All News

Muslim Student Association’s plans

Academic Help

Gothic Novels to read for the Fall

Community News

Help the Homeless Club: Helping Milton students as well

• All News

How does the Great Recession impact students ten years later?