• December 14Milton football wins first ever 7-A state title with 14-13 W over Colquitt County

Ending stress with the school year

Nadine Haddad, Staff Writer

It is almost the end of the school year, and it is no surprise some students are feeling more anxious than they have been since the first day of school. It is time to wrap up final grades and prepare for final exams, but it is vital to not allow stress get in the way of doing so.

There are many ways to cope with stress.

1. Do what you love: While this is a broad statement, sometimes stress prevents people from doing activities that they enjoy. Making time to do those things (possibly while taking a break from studying) is helpful when it comes to keeping oneself happy.
  2. Take a breath: It is okay to take a break from the 24/7 grind and catch a breath. Developing breathing patterns through activities such as yoga, meditation and breathing exercise videos reduce anxiety levels.
  3. Talk to others: Chances are you are not the only one dealing with stress and anxiety. Finding people to relate to is both comforting and reassuring.
  4. Start a journal or diary: If you are not in the mood to talk to others, it is helpful to write your feelings down. According to Fast Company, psychotherapist Maud Purcell explains, “‘Writing removes mental blocks and allows us to use more of our brainpower to better understand ourselves and the world around us.’”
  5. Exercise: Exercise not only benefits the physical body, it also promotes mental health. Exercise aids symptoms of depression, relieves anxiety and stress, reduces ADHD and PTSD, improves memory and strengthens self-esteem.
  6. Sleep: Without sleep, it is almost impossible to do any of the coping methods listed above. In order to have energy, one must have enough sleep; therefore, it is important to stick to an 8-hour sleeping schedule. Some tips to help get a good night’s sleep include the following:

1. Set a sleeping schedule and stick to it every day.
    2. Avoid taking naps over 15-20 minutes in the daytime.
    3. Exercise daily.
    4. Use comfortable pillows and mattresses.
    5. Drink warm milk and/or eat a banana about a half hour before going to bed.
    6. Avoid eating big meals at night.

For more ideas on how to improve your mental health, feel free to visit websites such as https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pub/coping_with_stress_tips.html and https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/what-mentally-strong-people-dont-do/201507/7-ways-mentally-strong-people-deal-stress. There are many resources available for dealing with stress and anxiety, especially at this time of the year.

About the Writer
Nadine Haddad, Staff Writer

Nadine Haddad is a junior at Milton and a staff writer for The Eagle Edition. She enjoys baking, playing the piano, and watching Netflix. She is looking...