Filed under All News, School News

Milton to offer new courses in 2018-2019 school year

In the new school year, Milton will be offering four new classes to the student body. Personal Finance, Local History, AP Seminar and AP Research are available to Milton students in the 2018-2019 school year.

AP Seminar and AP Research are part of the AP Capstone program that Milton is launching next year. According to the College Board, AP Capstone is designed to complement and enhance the discipline-specific study in other AP courses. Assistant Principal and AP Coordinator Ms. Morrison believes that “if you have never taken an AP course before, this is a great introduction to the rigor of AP while providing the foundational skills to complement other courses.” The program focuses on research, argumentation, and communication skills in an interdisciplinary format. “This course allows students to extend their abilities to synthesize information from multiple perspectives and apply skills in new situations and cross-curricular contexts,” says Morrison. Dr. Campbell will be teaching both classes.

The social studies department is offering Personal Finance. The course is available to exclusively to juniors and seniors, but does not require any prerequisites. Throughout the course, the project-based class will explore topics like college and career options, income, money management, spending, credit, investment, etc. Personal Finance is a state course, “therefore the curriculum is based on state standards,” says Ms. Angel, Social Studies Department Chair. The class, however, does not satisfy the economics class required for graduation. “The administration thinks  the curriculum is important for young people that are about to be on their own” says Angel.

Local History is also being offered by the social studies department as another project-based course. This class is available to any Milton student and does not require any prerequisites. The class will consider the history of the city of Milton as well as Milton high school, but also delve into the history of Alpharetta, using primary documents from the Alpharetta and Old Milton County Historical Society. Students will hear from guest speakers, interview locals, and learn how to record oral histories. A major project the course includes is planning for the 100th anniversary of Milton high school in 2021. “The Local History course is a Fulton County course. The curriculum comes from the school or teacher because it concentrates on the history of the school’s area,” says Angel. While it is a history class, this course does not satisfy any graduation requirements.

Though none of these courses satisfy a credit for the following graduation requirements: (four units of language arts, four units of science, four units of mathematics, three units of social studies, one unit of health or personal fitness), they do contribute to the requirement of four electives throughout the student’s high school career.