Milton’s Spring Sports Overview

January 30, 2018

Tryouts for baseball, soccer, tennis, track and lacrosse all took place within the past two weeks. Here’s the run-down on the teams and their season outlooks.

Baseball

Varsity Head Coach: Jeff Heusing

JV Head Coach: Dustin Rensspies

Season Outlook: The sky is the limit for the Milton Varsity baseball team that is led by multiple players on their way to play college ball at major programs. Drew Hamrock and Ben Harris are going to Virginia, Luc Scudellari is going to Georgia State, Michael Allegri to Notre Dame, Graham Pauley to Duke and Cole Stup to Kentucky. All of those future college athletes will be aiming to give Milton their 12th all-time Regional Championship this upcoming season and to improve upon a first round exit in the state tournament last year.  Both the JV and varsity seasons will begin with a matchup against Alpharetta on February 13, though varsity will be playing at home while JV is at Alpharetta. Varsity will begin regional play on March 12 against West Forsyth while JV will take on North Forsyth.

Track

Head Coach: Lonnie Estes

Season Outlook: The 2018 Milton boys long distance track team will be headlined by cross country stars Sam Bowers and Nicholas Yanek, while Nyah Hernandez and Taylor Cushman are standouts for the girls this season. Bowers and Yanek have set Georgia state records for their 5k times in cross country this past fall and are sure to be some of the top distance runners nationwide. The team is optimistic for the 2018 season with the number of talented seniors that are in their final season and the new faces coming in from the freshmen and sophomore classes. The team will meet up on February 3 for a team building meet called The Polar Bear Olympics that will feature multiple competitions and games, and their first real meet will occur February 24 at Roswell.

Tennis

Varsity Boys Head Coach: Clark Nixon

JV Boys Coach: Deborah Martina

Girls Varsity Coach: Catherine Yealy

Girls JV Coach: Jodi Moskowitz

Season Outlook: The 2018 Milton Tennis teams have high expectations this season. Senior Ben Falk and Junior Jonathan Mascagni will lead a talented boys’ varsity team that hopes to take the region title. Falk is the 24th overall prospect in the state for the class of 2020 while Mascagni is the 83rd overall prospect in the country for the class of 2019. The boy’s JV team will be looking to repeat as region champs this season thanks to a surplus of skilled players, while the girls’ varsity team will attempt to build off a second-round exit in the state tournament last season. Both varsity teams will play their first matches January 30 against Creekview, and the JV seasons will start the first week of February. Regional play begins against West Forsyth on March 1.

Soccer

Boys Varsity Coaches: Mike Nova and Phillip Broome

JV Boys Coach: Jason Broome

Girls Varsity Coaches: Bradlea Satchfield and Kelly Bendall

Girls JV Coach: Katy Goodman

Season Outlook: Both of the boys and girls varsity soccer teams will be seeing a lot of new faces this season. With the departure of many seniors, there are 5 underclassmen on the boys varsity roster and 7 on the girls varsity squad. Even with a lot of younger talent on the teams, expectations are high after both the girls and boys teams made it to the state playoffs last year. Both JV seasons will begin on February 5 against Cambridge while the varsity teams will open with games against Dunwoody on February 6. Regional action will begin on February 19 for JV against Lambert and the February 20 for varsity against Forsyth Central.

Lacrosse

Boys Varsity Head Coach: Alan Gordon

Boys JV Coach: Pat Dehan

Girls Varsity Head Coaches: Tim Godby and Matt Snyder

Girls JV Coaches: Stacie Jassen and Ashley Poston

Season Outlook: Milton’s girls varsity team is well-documented as one of the top programs in the state and will look to continue their tradition of excellence this season. The team has won six out of the past seven state championships and has a team strong enough team to win another one. The boys’ varsity team finished with an 11-6 record last spring, but seeks improvement this season with a strong squad returning. The boys varsity season will begin February 13 at Lassiter while the girls varsity will open their season with an away game against Central Forsyth on the 15th.