SAT/ACT- which tutoring center is right for you?

November 1, 2017

The SAT and ACT tests are very stressful tests, and in order to apply for college and scholarships, it is critical that students do well on them. Some opt for group or private tutoring to improve scores. But for students looking for SAT/ACT tutoring, it can be all difficult to find the perfect fit. This list rounds up five tutoring centers in the Alpharetta/Milton area, within twenty minutes of Milton High School. The location, website and cost are listed for each company, so you can determine for yourself which program is right for you!

SAT v.  ACT

SAT

The SAT contains a reading, writing and language, no calculator math and calculator math sections, as well as an optional essay portion. Each section is graded on a scale of 200 to 800, and these scores are averaged to get a total score of 400 to 1600. The test is three hours long and the optional essay lasts an additional fifty minutes. There are five reading passages and the math section is focused on arithmetic and algebra. A formula sheet is given for the math portions.

ACT

The ACT contains a reading, English and math as well as a science reasoning section. The optional essay is also included. Each section is graded on a scale of 1 to 36 and averaged to get a total score of 1 to 36. The test is two hours and fifty-five minutes without the essay and three hours and forty minutes with it, so less time is allotted per question compared to the SAT. There are four reading passages, a science section analyzing critical thinking skills, and the math is focused on geometry as well as algebra. No formula sheet is allowed for the math portion.

The best way to decide which test is for you is to take a full-length practice test for both. If you think your scores need more improvement, choosing a tutoring center is the next step.

C2 Education of Avalon

LOCATION: 2685 Old Milton Parkway St# 110, Alpharetta, GA 30009

WEBSITE: https://www.c2educate.com/

This prep center focuses on areas of difficulty to help with the tests. “We are essentially a one stop shop. We can help with all subjects, all content,” explains a tutor at C2 Education. The cost is varied and depends on what the student needs. There are three students per teacher so students get plenty of attention and help. “Just like school, you have to put work into it. You have to do the work and when students do so, we see results.” According to the tutor, C2’s students score in the top percentile on SAT and ACT tests.

COST: varies by student

Huntington Learning Center

LOCATION: 12850 Highway 9 North, Alpharetta, GA 30004

WEBSITE:https://huntingtonhelps.com/

This program focuses on the student. “All of our exam prep is one on one tutoring,” says a tutor at Huntington. “We do not just give the students tips and tricks, we focus on how we can help the students think better.” The students are given a full length practice test so the tutors know what he or she needs help on. Students often get results with an average of 4 to 6 points improvement on the ACT, according to the tutor. “We are very invested in our students success.” Huntington gives a vast amount of attention so the student can improve.

COST: $70 per hour, hours vary by student

Cornerstone Academic Alpharetta

LOCATION: 5234 McGinnis Ferry Rd, Alpharetta, GA 30005

WEBSITE: http://www.cornerstoneacademic.com/

Cornerstone Academic, a Suwanee based company, has opened up a center on McGinnis Ferry Road in Alpharetta. “We use official SAT and ACT practice materials for our courses; the scores on these [practice] tests [correlate] with actual scores on the tests,” says a tutor at Cornerstone. Students also achieve significant results- with an average score increase of 147 points on the SAT and 4.2 points on the ACT. All courses are backed by an “unlimited retake guarantee”- which allows students to retake the course at no cost until graduation of high school. Many coupons to reduce the cost are offered; the current one is placed at $100.

COST: $499 for 34 hours of instruction- 18 instruction and 16 practice

Patrick Craig Academy

LOCATION: 4150 Old Milton Pkwy, Alpharetta, GA 30005

WEBSITE: http://www.patrickcraigacademy.com/

Patrick Craig, a 2001 alum of Milton, went to University of Virginia and graduated with a degree in Business. He then got a job in that field, but left to start his own company. Craig has worked with over a thousand students and served nearly every high school- public and private- in Fulton county. “The ACT/SAT is like any other test- you can study for it.” says Craig.  “We have taken advantage of the predictable nature of the ACT/SAT to create a program that shows students what you need to review, what you haven’t been taught [and] what you’ve been taught but not the way the ACT/SAT tests it,”

Do his students achieve results? Definitely, Craig says. “Our students, especially the hardworking ones, see their scores go up because the ACT/SAT is so familiar to them.”

COST: $75 per 1.5 hour session, $35 per mock test

(the cost of these sessions includes all study and practice materials)

Seneca Education Group

LOCATION: 13680 GA-9 Suite G-600, Alpharetta, GA 30004

WEBSITE: https://www.senecatutors.com/

Seneca is a tutoring program that focuses on results. “[Our program is] extremely effective,” says Maxwell Smith, a tutor and owner of the corporation. “It varies from one person to the next, [but] we have students who improve 4+ points on the ACT and 200+ on the ACT.” Seneca also has group classes at Milton for both the ACT and the SAT, which are 14 hour classes that meet once a week and lead right up to the test as well as testing seminars in the CCC. Information about these sessions are released in the Milton Eagle Update. Seneca has also been featured in the AJC recently, and you can read that article here: http://getschooled.blog.myajc.com/2017/10/17/college-daze-georgia-tech-honors-grad-shares-secrets-to-maintaining-grades-sanity/

COST: 18 hours at an hourly rate of  $160 or 36 hours at rate of $145

Applerouth​ ​Tutoring​ ​Services

LOCATION: 626 ​Holcomb ​Bridge ​Rd ​#100, ​Roswell, ​GA ​30076

WEBSITE: https://www.applerouth.com/

Applerouth has a very effective program. “We have a student-centered approach, proven

methodology, and an elite group of educators,” says Lauren James, a marketing coordinator at

Applerouth. “We believe that setting students up for success mean prioritizing his or her unique

strengths, learning needs, schedule, and goals.” According to James, all of their tutors scored in

the 99th percentile on SAT and ACT tests. Applerouth helps prepare you for these exams while

also giving the student lifelong learning habits. Students see vast improvements after the exam

prep. “Students see an average score increase of 120 points on the SAT and 5 points on the

ACT. In 2017, our students were offered more than $13 million in merit-based scholarships

based on their test scores,” says James. Applerouth gives good techniques and study habits to

give the students as much help as possible.

COST: $599 for group class, $899 for small group, $1,300 for private

Have you tried any of these tutoring centers? If so, what are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below.