Swim team holds tryouts

Foster Steinbeck, Editor-in-Chief

For the first time in Milton High School’s history, our Swim and Dive program hosted tryouts for prospective swimmers. This change is part of “a larger effort to reinvigorate the program” says Ms. McAlister, the program’s head coach.

A member of Milton’s class of 06’, Ms. McAlister swam for the Atlanta Sharks Summer League for ten years as well as for Milton’s program for all four years of high school. After graduating, she swam for Georgia College and State University while completing her Bachelors of Science in Mathematics.

Two years after graduating from college, Ms. McAlister returned to Milton to teach Algebra I and became the assistant coach for Milton’s Swim and Dive Program. “Swimming and teaching have always been my two passions since I was 14 years old. Head coach, Teresa Lee knew this about me and was an integral part in getting me a job here so that I could teach math and transition into becoming the new head coach of the swim and dive program.” Ms. McAlister teaches Algebra I in the 5300 Hall.

Ms. McAlister also sees the need to reinvigorate the program because “the team does not practice together. This is due to the rigorous swimming schedule of year-round swimmers combined with the lack of pools in Fulton County. Because of that, the team tends to be very divided. We have implemented new spirit wear, team suits, caps, swimmer of the meet awards, and more in hopes of creating a “family” environment. It continues to be a challenge, but we hope to reinvigorate the program as we continue to grow.”

One of Ms. McAlister biggest challenges “has been this year with needing to do tryouts. I also coach a summer league team in Alpharetta and have for the past 14 years. With that program, the mantra is ‘come as you are’ and creates an atmosphere of fun and ‘no pressure.’ With high school swimming, I would love if I could accept and coach every athlete, however with the restraints that is impossible.”

On Oct. 22, all potential swimmers except the captains swam a 100M Freestyle, a 50M Backstroke, and 50M Breaststroke and a 50M Butterfly, and Ms. McAlister is currently in the process of selecting the top boys and girls based on “their performance at tryouts.”