Milton’s CBI Program and Special Olympics Spotlight

March 13, 2018

As a community, it is our job to advocate for students with learning disabilities. At Milton High School, students work in the Community Based Instruction Program (CBI) by becoming peer mentors. Peer mentors work with and attend events supporting CBI students, such as the Special Olympics.

The motto of the Special Olympics is to give children and adults with intellectual disabilities “opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families.”

On February 15, Milton’s CBI program attended the local Special Olympics hosted at Roswell High School. Students participated in sports and activities such as: basketball, parachuting, and mini stations.

Macy Allard, a peer mentor at Milton, describes her experience of attending the Special Olympics as fulfilling. Allard also recalls her favorite memory of the event as the parachute game because of “the joy that it brought to the students.”

The support and involvement within Milton’s CBI program and Special Olympics overwhelms many families who have children in the program. Heidi Moore, for example, advocates for children with intellectual disabilities, and regularly attends the Special Olympics.

Moore’s son Jacob was diagnosed with leukemia on November 13, 2009 and went through over three and a half years of chemotherapy. When he was first diagnosed, Jacob lost all of his functions and spent over six weeks learning how to walk again.

In May 2010, Jacob won a gold medal at the statewide Special Olympics at Georgia Tech while he competed in the fifty mile walk. Moore describes this as one of her most memorable moments at the Special Olympics because “it was very emotional seeing [her son] walk again and all the love and support [they] felt as a family.”

Other than participating in the Special Olympics, Milton’s CBI program help students in the long run by allowing them to explore potential jobs to obtain skills and experience for post-graduation. Moore describes how the program enabled Jacob to work at the new Milton Bookworms lending Library for the teachers. Jacob’s job had a huge impact on his life and brings him joy. His hard work was also recognized by the State Senator John Albers as a part of “Bring Your Legislator to Work Day.”

Students who are not peer mentors can also support the CBI students. This month during “Exceptional Children’s Week,” we will be having a pep rally, decorating the halls, and selling shirts for the program. The celebration will highlight the accomplishments of students with special needs and the community supporting them at Milton. Keep an eye out for the sale of the shirts to represent our “Connected Community.”